Amman Valley Trotting Club Maintenance
A community run harness racing track in the heart of the Amman Valley, that has been established since 1979 (see short video at: http://bit.ly/RZBsmj). This is a social enterprise, limited by guarantee, run by volunteers, that has just won a Community Green Flag Award.
The Club has open membership and reinvests all surpluses generated back into the site and surrounding community. Amman Valley Trotting Club was set up as a community enterprise originally to organise harness racing for local enthusiasts on a site built on levelled-out former coal spoil tip long-leased from the local authority, Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council.
Over the years the Club has responded to local demand both for community events and additional sporting activities at the site. So, although the volunteer club members and other event volunteers from surrounding communities continue to provide a full calendar of harness-racing events as the core activity, increasingly the Club have taken the lead in organising and providing for the local community and visitors alike.
The LocationMorriston Place, Tairgwaith, SA18 1UT
In-Kind Support RequiredYes
Type of Support Required
- Materials to improve the access road and pathways linked to the track
- Technical support & Materials re: the surfacing of the limestone track
- Help with grounds maintenance
- Building work support
- Fit seating benches around the track 6. Advice for the centre of the track turning this in to a ménage area for show jumping and dressage
Financial Support RequiredYes
Value of Support Required
- Ground Maintenance Machinery/Equipment to enable the club to maintain the site, as former maintenance contracts have now expired.
- Compact Tractor/Mower (£12,000)
- Hedge/Verge Cutter (£4,800)
- Race Track Harrow/Conditioner (£3,600)
Local Name and Contact Details
Tel: 07909 698 309
Any Other Comments
Hopefully this could be an opportunity for the club to have the support of a prominent business to empower them to bring to fruition their overall vision as set out in their comprehensive business plan.
In addition to this there is a the long term 2016/18 there are plans to develop the adjacent 600 acres open cast mining site as the location of a 120 bed hotel, holiday lodges, 130 metre deep lake, as a water diving facility and military / naval / police training centre linked to a submerged aeroplane and ship! This will be of benefit to the club from additional visitors to the area and bring more publicity to the locality.